Fiesta RS1800/RS Turbo This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta RS Range of cars.

1.25 Zetec power loss.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:28 PM
ajuk
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.25 Zetec power loss.

OK so I'm having a problem with power at the moment, I'll really put my foot down and it will shudder and sometimes slow down despite me having my foot down, at first I thought it was the leads because I had someone try to replace my cambelt last week (he could not get the locking pin to go in) and I he told me he had removed the HT leads, but the car had been doing it prior to last week just not as bad, if I put the car in third and put my foot down I'd occasionally feel a shudder but now it's all the time. Anyway yesterday I poured a load of Redex into the fuel tank and that seems to have improved things but not entirely and it still seems a little temperamental. I was thinking I'd replace the fuel filter as I think it's original and therefore 15 years old and 70k miles can someone tell me where it is as I can't find the info on Google, also should I be replacing my HT leads as well anyway?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Mikesford
Virgin

Originally Posted by ajuk
OK so I'm having a problem with power at the moment, I'll really put my foot down and it will shudder and sometimes slow down despite me having my foot down, at first I thought it was the leads because I had someone try to replace my cambelt last week (he could not get the locking pin to go in) and I he told me he had removed the HT leads, but the car had been doing it prior to last week just not as bad, if I put the car in third and put my foot down I'd occasionally feel a shudder but now it's all the time. Anyway yesterday I poured a load of Redex into the fuel tank and that seems to have improved things but not entirely and it still seems a little temperamental. I was thinking I'd replace the fuel filter as I think it's original and therefore 15 years old and 70k miles can someone tell me where it is as I can't find the info on Google, also should I be replacing my HT leads as well anyway?
I would say to check the basics first, ie air filter, spark plugs, all the connectors to the coil, cam sensor etc. It does sound like it maybe a blocked fuel filter. have a look at this link:

https://passionford.com/forum/ford-f...a-zetec-s.html
Old 06-04-2011, 06:38 PM
ajuk

OK thanks I undid the Torx screw and the thing doesn't budge, how can I loosen the clamp?
Old 06-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Mikesford
Virgin

OK thanks I undid the Torx screw and the thing doesn't budge, how can I loosen the clamp?
Maybe use some wd40 or duck oil and leave over night, then try to pry the clamp loose. I will be having a look at mine tomorrow as have just found that I need a new fuel tank I guess if I am fitting a new tank I may as well change the filter.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like a nackered coil pack, Zetecs love a munch on a coilpack unfortunatley
Old 17-04-2011, 04:36 PM
ajuk

OK I finally got the filter out the clamp but the clip holding the filter on on the output side has broken and won't come off, can I just cut the fuel line and hold it back on with a jubilee clip?
Old 17-04-2011, 05:24 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

OK I finally got the filter out the clamp but the clip holding the filter on on the output side has broken and won't come off, can I just cut the fuel line and hold it back on with a jubilee clip?
no, you need to put a proper fitting back on again
Old 17-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Mikesford
Virgin

Originally Posted by dojj
no, you need to put a proper fitting back on again
Sorry mate, I never answered about getting the filter out. I know now having just done mine! I guess you also know now. Anyway, I have a new connector to fit to the fuelrail on mine because it sometimes leaks. I got it from the FORD dealer and it was a tenner. If you get the pipe nice and hot with boiling water I am told that it will soften it up and you can remove the old one. Then fit the new connector(again, after warming up)You may want to cut about 10mm off the end of the pipe so that the new connector is fitted into pipe that has not been stretched.
Old 17-04-2011, 07:02 PM
ajuk

Managed to get it off in the end after I cut the piece of white plastic off the end and used a screw driver to push the retainer down, fitted the new filter just fine. I took it for a blast on the M5 and it seems to have solved my problem.
Old 17-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Mikesford
Virgin

Managed to get it off in the end after I cut the piece of white plastic off the end and used a screw driver to push the retainer down, fitted the new filter just fine. I took it for a blast on the M5 and it seems to have solved my problem.
Nice one. Well done mate.
Old 17-04-2011, 07:46 PM
ajuk

If the old filter was original would it have Ford written on it?