Old 18-05-2014, 11:04 AM
DUDOCO
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default focus spluttering.

Originally Posted by tbs152
Hi all

I recently had the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) changed on my 2000 Ford Focus 1.8i Zetec 5dr because the speedo was dropping to zero and I was losing power.

Whilst this replacement has cured the zeroed speedo, the loss of power issue is now constant. Here are the symptoms:

- Chugging/stuttering at cruising speed (~60mph) as if I'm driving into strong winds (constant)

- Noticably poor acceleration with definite loss of power as compared to before the new VSS (constant)

- Drag or lurch when changing between low gears (frequent)

- When in neutral the revs stay high for ~5 secs then slowly return to normal (occasional)

Now this would only happen when the needle was stuck on zero prior to the new VSS, now it is constant. I read somewhere that it could be the EGR valve, but I had a look and don't think I have one! I also unhooked the battery to reset the ECU to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks!
The filter on the pump-theres a little mesh thing that gets clogged up,it can wash itself a little with the petrol in the tank so does it intermitantly.
What happens is it causes a loss of fuel pressure at the regulator-the ufo shaped chrome thing on the curly fuel pipe!!.This causes a pause in fuel delivered to the fuel rail and missfire and spluttering under load at the injectors/engine.If you are not to fussy you can cut a hole under the back seat to get to the pump-quickest way and diy!! On the rh side of the car as you sit in it-details on how to on forums.Good luck,
DUDOCO.