Thread: Inlet manifolds
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 08:55 AM
XR2
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

I've done that. Quite easy job.

A friend of mine redrilled the holes in the sandwich plate, so I don't have any pictures of this. EFI injectors are bigger than MFI ones, so you'll have to remove some material at the inlet manifold. And maybe you'll have to use injectors with a different (smaller) spray angle, because they're not so close to the inlet valve like they are on EFI CVHs (XR2i, FRST, PTE...)

I use an RS1600i inlet, so I can use the ERST throttle body which already has mounting brackets for a TPS. You can't use the ERST TPS for any aftermarket injection. It just works with the KE-Jetronic. My trottle body is an RS1600i one, with the bigger flap and modified RST parts to use a TPS.

You might be not able to use the RS1600i inlet manifold because of your RHD brake setup and the hoses might hit the brake fluid reservoir.

The MK3 XR3i uses the same throttle body type like the RSi/RST (4 stud pattern) but the inlet is the same as it is on MK4 MFI ones. Ford simply made a sandwich plate. So try to get one of them to use a RST throtte body with the XR3i inlet. Or make a custom one to use a different throttle body.

I just made two brackets to secure the fuel rail and simply bolted them onto the inlet. Now I've got to remove the whole inlet to get the rail or the injectors out, but that don't happen that often