View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 PM
tygger
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat handle release 3 door fiesta 54 plate

Guys, this is a doddle, if you know what you are doing. The 2 key important factors are a) remove the seat squab, and b), “unclasp” the front seat backing. This will allow access up the back of the seat and may enable you to unclip the cable holder, depending on your physical stature. I broke the handle off, because I didn’t know at that time to unclasp the seat backing.

1. Remove seat squab. This is done by removing the 2 bolts underneath the squab towards the front.
2. “Unclasp” the seat backing, at the lower part of the seat backing. This can be done by prising out one end of the clasp with a screwdriver, then peeling the whole lot out. Pull up to reveal the cables.
3. Unhook the cable/s ( if one end broken) at the lower part of the seat mechanism, via the now open seat bottom.
4. If possible, reach up underneath the seat backing to the handle. Feel for the 2 clips on either side, pinch and remove.
5. Twist the cable holder 90 degree clockwise at the seat metal shoulder, so as to remove upwards
6. Feed the new cable downwards. Reaching up through the seat backing will help here.
7. Attach the cable hooks, ensuring the right lengths (one is shorter than the other)
8. Ensure that the cable holder grooves are aligned with the metal seat shoulder. Twist through 90 degrees anti-clockwise, ensuring that the highest end is towards the back. I found plenty of Vaseline will ensure easing twist, with very gentle persuasion on both ends, with an open ended 15 mm spanners.
9. Push the (new) handle back in.
10. Replace squab and secure bolts.
11. Test.

Any problems mail me!