View Single Post
Old 20-06-2010, 05:40 PM
unfocused
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus TDCI starting problems !!

Hi all,

I have a Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI on an 06 plate and on Thursday it wouldnt start. I went about 2 miles up the road in it to the bank and when i came back it just clicked but wouldn't turn over. So i called the dreaded Alcoholics Anonymous who said it was a dead battery (which i didnt think it was as everything else was still working fans, radio, windows etc.) but anyway he stuck his booster pack on it and it still didnt start (Ha :P). so he checked the voltage at the battery (which i already had) and it was 12.2 at rest and about 10.3V with ignition trying to crank. The solenoid clicks but the motor wont turn on the starter. So we done the old trick of rocking the car, then t*atting it with a bar (the starter not the car lol) and it still wouldnt go! so he checked for earth leakage and it was only losing 0.4V so it wasnt a bad earth. So finally he condemned the starter and we bumped it and i got it home ok.

So yesterday i stripped the starter out and took to be looked at, and the bloke stripped it down and said it had shattered the magnet in the motor from T*atting it. He repaired it showed me it working (both motor and solenoid) and i put it all back in and tried it ............ Click - No cranking

It appears that there is power to the solenoid but nothing to the motor.

Dont know if this is related but for the past week when we started the car (position 3) it made a slight crackling noise through the front speakers.

I have traced the wire from the igniton through to as close to the bulkhead as i can and can see no broken wires.
The ignition itself is giving 10 volts onto the Grey/Black wire when trying to start.
I have checked all the fuses and relays that appear to be starter/engine related and all appear fine.

I am now officially stumped so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Unfocused

Last edited by unfocused; 20-06-2010 at 06:16 PM.