View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 06:13 PM
notroubleclubber
Back In The RS Game!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent updated for a while so thought id put a post up to catch up:

I was enjoying the car as it was when i notcied that it smoked quite a bit on startup then cleared.Then after a while i noticed smoke pouring out the back when in traffic and stood still.As the head was tappety too i decided to rebuild my head and replace the head gasket to be safe. Luckily a newly rebuilt head appeared on the bay of e and it was in my town so i went to have a look.It had been rebuilt 4k ago and included it being ported and polished and had a piper t2 cam in it with piper vernier.I managed to get this for £100 and had it skimmed to be on the safe side which cost me £20.
I then managed to get a headgasket kit "payen" from the local factors so last weekend my cousin and myself stripped the head off. The headgasket was showing signs of failure so we renewed the gasket as well as every other gasket, gave eveything a good clean up and installed the new head.I also installed a new fan switch as well as wiring up an overide switch for it too to be extra safe.
Once we got the new head it wasnt running right and as we didnt have a strobe and timing gear i managed to get it all setup by a local well known former rs mechanic.He did a full setup and set the boost at 14psi.
The car now absolutely flies!!! And as its running more boost i can hear chatter as well as my dump valve which is a bonus!
I managed to get a good secondhand door in white local to where i work for £40 so i swapped the doors over.The new door didnt include anything so i swapped everything over from the old door.
So im up to the point where the car is going well,its looking alot better and even tho the tax is due next month,its now ready for the summer!!
The near side back panel needs a slight touch up which i will do when i get the chance and the bottom of the passenger door will need a touch up.Then it will be a case of installing a better alarm system,central locking and finishing off the interior to a better standard.All this should be done within the next few months. Ive also managed to get hold of some 4x4 cosworth calipers that have been recently blasted as well as some good pads to go with them.So as soon as i got the money for new 2wd discs and some braided hoses,then these will go on.
All i got left after that is to tidy up the wheels.Im hoping to get them sprayed white and polish the fronts.
Ive also decided to leave the spoiler off as i think it looks cleaner and "newer" without it so i got 2 spoilers for sale,as well as a bootlid and a spare passenger door.
Heres some new pics:

Roof Up

Before I replaced the door

Roof Down - Just need to sort the bottom of the passenger door

Roof Down - Probably cant see the new door but it looks ten times better!!

Dont you think it looks better without a spoiler?!

Just got to sort the interior - maybe get it flocked after some fibreglassing!

You cant tell but its got the new head on!!!And been tidied up a bit. Just got to sort the wiring out so its neater.

Im also planning on spraying the handles and fuel cap the same white.