View Single Post
Old 29-12-2005, 06:40 PM
vyper developments
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
I have previously posted this reply reference temp senders and gauges. Fot those of you that didnt see it here ut is again:

I have owned the same 2WD sapphire for nearly six years now and have replaced the temp senders on quite a few occasions. I have found that there is a big discrepancy over the resistance values of the temp senders, these senders work on a NTC principle, which means that as the water temperature increases the resistance decreases and this will effect the overall reading of the temperature gauge.

I had the same one in the car for a few years and that one used to read between the N & O of NORM the next one read a bit below that, The current one I have fitted now reads between R & M, this doesnt mean there is a problem with the cooling system it just means these senders have a very wide tolerance and all seem to read a little bit different.

For peace of mind I have very accurate additional temperature monitoring which covers all my engine parameters. The water temp in the cylinder head is around 85 degrees C in normal use, give or take a few degrees on thermostat operation. When sat at idle the fans will cut in at 96 degrees C and will trip in and out quite frequently if sat in traffic.

Personally I think it is wise to have another means of keeping an eye on water temp if you dont trust your standard temp gauge, bearing in mind an increase in water temperature will also affect your engine oil temperature!

CheeRS, Mike.